Firefly 2kW Water Resistant Electric Patio Heater Review
Firefly 2kW Patio Heater
- Cheap to run
- Easy to put up
- Multiple power settings
- More expensive than other similar rated products
- Short power cable
Price drop alert!!! (£44.99 – 2nd June 2017)
£39.99 – 31st of May 2017
Today on Patiomate we’re looking at an entry level patio heater from Firefly. Cheap and cheerful. Perfect for smaller gatherings in the garden
Firefly – 2kW Water Resistant Patio Heater Review
A great addition to the garden, realistically priced with 3 power settings and it’s water resistant!
We originally touched on this patio heater in our comparison post comparing 4 electric patio heaters under £50. As it’s now prime season for patio heaters the price has gone up somewhat. Currently priced at £64.99 (as of 16th May 2017), this patio heater is the #1 bestselling heater on Amazon! With 297 customer reviews and an average rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.
Usable both indoors and outdoors. Cheap to run and with adjustable height. You can’t ask for much more from a patio heater.
How much does the Firefly 2kW heater cost to run?
This heater has 3 power settings, so consumption varies depending on which setting you’re using! Check out the cost below.
The current average per kWh in the U.K is currently 12.2 pence. So we must calculate the hourly usage as follows:
2kW heater running costs:
2kW x 1 hour = 2 kWh x 12.2p = 24.4p
2kW x 2 hours = 2 kWh x (12.2p x 2) = 48.8p
If we were to assume you used the heaters for 2 hours a night every night.
Full power (2kW or 2000W) our monthly electric bill will be £14.46.
Mid power (1.35kW or 1350W), then it would cost us £9.76 per month.
Low power (650W) we’d be looking at £4.70 per month.
This patio heater is almost identical to the Oylpa 2kW patio heater. With similar initial cost and specification. I’d recommend purchasing whichever one is cheaper at time of purchase!
Is this patio heater suitable for home or commercial use?
These smaller free-standing patio heaters are really targeted to the home user rather than the commercial user. They’re really cheap to run and as an added bonus this heater is also weatherproof (IPX4 rated).
- Cost at time of review (16th May 2017): £64.99
- Type of heater: Electric, Infrared
- Suitable for: Home
- Weighs: 3.7kg
- Comes with: 1.8m power cable
- Height: 174.5-210cm (adjustable)
- Width: 50cm
- Power settings: (650W, 1350W, 2000W)
- Features: Quartz element, 3 power settings, weatherproof
- Cost to run (per hour): £0.07 / £0.16 / £0.24
Affordable, especially when the price drops under £50!
At £49.99 this patio heater was nearly perfect. With the recent price increase we like it a little less, but as with all free-markets we can expect a price fluctuation during peak season. At it’s current price we’ve given it 4/5 stars as it’s still one of the most affordable electric heaters on the market.
We would have liked to have seen a longer power cable, but at 1.8m most users will be able to find a spare power socket nearby. It has a glorious painted metal finish, is fully adjustable, with some users removing the middle pole and turning it into a table-top heater (although we wouldn’t recommend this as 2000W of infrared heat that close will hurt!)
It’s very easy to erect and weighs just 3.7kg. So most users will have no problem installing and moving it!
Not for you? How about these best-sellers instead?
- Firefly 2KW FreeStanding Water Resistant Infared Electric Garden Outdoor Indoor Patio Heater - 3 Power Settings
- Milestone Camping Portable Gas Heater - Green
- Set of 2 Firefly 2kW Outdoor Freestanding Electric Quartz Bulb Garden Patio Heaters - 3 Power Settings
- LIVIVO ® Electric Free Standing 2kW Patio Heater with 3 Power Settings – Powerful Quartz Tube Heating Element with Integrated Safety Over-Heat Protection – Suitable for Indoor and Outdoor Use – IPX4 Rated & ROHS Approved - 45 Degree Adjustable Heat Angle and Height Adjustable Stand
- Oxford Barbecues 56135B X-Large Steel Chimenea - Black