Whether you’re a novice gardener or an avid green thumb I think we can all agree that weeds are the bane of any patio or paving area in a garden.
Unsightly sprouts of green poking out from an otherwise meticulous space can be frustrating to say the least, especially when you think you’ve finally gotten rid of them for good and they suddenly poke their ugly tethers back out from between the stones.
Here are PatioMate’s top tips for removing the unsightly green beasts for good.
In This Guide
- Quick and easy no-tool setup StarPointer finderscope. Erect image optics - Ideal for terrestrial and astronomical use. Quick release dovetail attachment - no tool setup.
- Pan handle Alt-Az control with clutch - for smooth and accurate pointing. Rugged pre-assembled tripod with 1.25" steel tube legs - Provides a rigid and stable platform. All coated glass optics for clear, crisp images
- Deluxe accessory tray for convenient storage of accessories.
Weeds grow from seeds falling into gaps between paving rather than from growing up from underneath, unfortunately this does little to lesson the difficulty of effective removal.
A good method of prevention is to ensure when laying a new patio that you avoid giving seeds any gaps in which to grow. Proper drainage will also add to preventative measures since weeds love a cool damp environment.
We highly recommend using Bostik Self-Hardening patio filler to prevent weeds from developing in the first instance or once you are rid of weeds it is a well rated method of preventing re-growth. It comes in two colours, natural or grey so is sure to suit most patios.
- Quality patio brush-10 year guarantee
- Tough PVC bristles make light work of removing tough stains on patios and paths
- Part of the multi-change click system-any handle fits 50 tool heads
Another technique to prevent regrowth is to sweep regularly, this will help brush away any new seedlings before they have a chance to establish themselves, a hard garden broom will do the trick, we found a fantastic budget option here which comes with a whopping 10-year guarantee!
Be sure to purchase the correct handle size for your height, sold separately.
Tackling Existing Weeds
Effective weed removal depends on several factors but the key is to remove every trace if you want to lessen or prevent their return completely. The best ways to do that include a specially built weed broom used in combination with a pressure washer and weed killer.
This three pronged attack along with using the above prevention methods should reduce if not stop weed regrowth entirely. For the sake of total removal and prevention we highly recommend investing in quality equipment to save you wasting money on endless weed removal sprays and tools down the line if you have a re-occurrence.
- Quality weeding brush
- Removes weeds and moss from between paving slabs
- Clears even large areas quickly and while keeping a straight back
Firstly you’ll need to remove the larger weeds, this can be done easily with a specially designed weed brush.
You can purchase the handle for it here
Secondly you’ll need to tackle any remnants left behind and smaller weeds, for this we highly recommend a pressure washer.
This serves two purposes, it will remove any remnants of the old weeds you just brushed away but cleverly it will also blast those tiny weed seeds into oblivion giving your patio a nice fresh start while you work on the final stage and begin your prevention program.
This is crucial as any seeds left behind when you add filler may begin the entire cycle again and thus ruin all your hard work so far. You can find several well-rated pressure washers here:
- Compact, lightweight and mobile pressure washer for domestic duties
- Perfect for cleaning decking, patios, garden furniture, bicycles, cars etc
- Manufactured with an automatic total stop system that activates/deactivates the motor
- Patented water-cooled motor for more power and longer life
- Quick connect system for the high-pressure hose
- Telescopic handle for comfortable use & compact storage
Once you are fairly sure you have gotten rid of any trace of the weeds within the local area, it is time to attack once again, just to be sure they are never coming back.
Final Course of Prevention
- Fast action ready to use weed killer that kills the weeds and roots with visible results in 1-2 days
- Kills most garden weeds with a single application; up to 10 minutes of continuous spray when using 5 L option
- Children and pets need not be excluded from treated areas (once dry)
This is where we bring out the weed killer. We chose a weed killer that can be used in the same garden a child or pet may use provided they aren’t exposed to it until it is dry.
Once your weed killer has had time to dry it is time to head back to the prevention route, you’ll want to fill any gaps in your patio or paving area so that there is simply no where for the seeds to go.
- NO MORE WEEDS Are you tired of scraping out the ever growing weeds in your patio, paths and driveways? Solve all your problems once and for all with our NO GROW joint filling sand. Our paving sand is a weed inhabibiting block paving sand. Scientific studies have shown this ready to use blend of kiln-dried sand along with special minerals keep weeds at bay due to its naturally high levels of pH.
- LONG LASTING Invest a little less energy into maintaining your paths, patios and drives ways and a little more time enjoying them! This fast fix is not only long lasting and can endure many years of permeating rain without losing its weed inhibiting effect due to its unique blend of materials, but is also extremely simple to use and is ready to go! Giving you your hard earned quality time back!
- DECORATIVE AND FUNCTIONAL Give your outdoors a full facelift while also preventing unwanted weed growth. Leave your paths, patios and driveways looking fresh and brand new with our decorative joint filling sand. This sand weathers naturally and provides that just finished look throughout all the seasons, while effortlessly combatting those unruly weeds! Our product resists erosion and to top it off is environmentally friendly. What more could you ask for!
An innovative and time effective way of doing this is to use an environmental sand, you just brush it into any gaps and away you go.
Back to enjoying your weed free garden, this time forever.
Last update on 2022-02-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API